RSS

CR Episode 1: Paradise Lost, Book I

17 Jun
Him the Almighty Power / Hurled headlong flaming from the ethereal sky (I.44-45)

Download Link: Released 2019.06.17

In the first episode of Critical Readings, the panel begins a twelve-week discussion of Milton’s Paradise Lost, with discussion focused on the poem’s nature as an epic and the apparent ideological conflict between Milton’s politics and his protagonist.

7 Comments

Posted by on 17 June 2019 in Podcasts

Tags: , ,

7 responses to “CR Episode 1: Paradise Lost, Book I

1. S. P. Cooper

17 June 2019 at 19:48

Apologies about the balance issues and lack of a pop filter. We were sharing a microphone tonight and I neglected to bring my pop filter along. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!

If you have any discussion topics, questions, or comments you’d like us to address in the next episode, post them here!

2. Adrian Vermeule

18 June 2019 at 17:35

Congrats!

3. S. P. Cooper

18 June 2019 at 17:52

Thank you! Next week will be even better!

4. A Literary Dilettante

18 June 2019 at 18:13

I listened to this at work and spend a great deal of it nodding–not off but along. Very well done. I look forward to week 2!

5. S. P. Cooper

18 June 2019 at 18:39

Thank you! I hope that we can continue to deliver.

And if nodding off ever does become a problem, I can always add a few sound effects to keep listeners on their toes.

BANG!

6. Dan Sheehan (@lvstories)

18 June 2019 at 19:06

Tell us more about “Daniel Patrick Sheehan,” the lad who made the incisive comment about young people.

7. S. P. Cooper

18 June 2019 at 19:12

Known for his fascination with visages hirsute, Sheehan is also famous for being routinely whipped by me in various internet arguments on topics including music, art, and whether people should have beards. Motivated by a desire for revenge, he prays for lemon blight, for which spiteful conduct God repays him with soreness in his knees and lower back, and probably a dodgy digestion as well.